[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Aug 10 09:40:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011, Rudi Ahlers wrote:

*snip*

> Hi Scott,
>
> I didn't know about the minimal CD until now.
>
> And it's not really about "trimming a few extra megs", but rather
> about removing, and disabling services which users generally won't use
> but gets installed and often cause security issues down the road cause
> it was never disabled

My ALI scripts should be able to handle setting up which
services are running from bootup. That's what I wrote them
for ;)

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

Once those scripts have been setup and configured for a
particular machine, I can do a minimal fresh kickstart
installation in 20-30 minutes. The rest can be downloaded
and installed overnight while I'm sleeping :)

Also you can use a USB flash drive for storing your
kickstart file. Please see my Fedora guide 'Putting a
kickstart file onto USB flash drive' here:

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net