[CentOS] drop manitu.net

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Thu Aug 11 13:43:53 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 06:52 +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Aug 2011, Always Learning wrote:
>
> > Why not run your own mail server ? I use Exim (a Sendmail replacement)
> > on several servers. I refuse incoming mails where the sender's HELO /
> > EHLO does not match the sender's IP host name, because that - for me -
> > eliminates 90% or more of spam and I absolutely detest spam.
>
> > No Centos fan should have to depend on other's email services for daily
> > communications, so do consider operating your own mail server.

> I have been wondering about that myself.
>
> I'm using postfix instead of sendmail:
>
> postfix         0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on
> 6:off
> sendmail        0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off
> 5:off   6:off

I did:-

yum install exim
yum erase (or was it remove?) sendmail

> Can I use postfix to send outgoing emails directly from my
> machine, without opening any external ports? Or is that
> required for the server handshake protocol?

Never used postfix. For mail I use Evolution 2.12.3 (2.12.3-19.el5). If
I want to route outgoing mail by the Exim on the machine I'm using I
just quote the mail server's host name (example. m4.u226.com). Obviously
the Exim, or in your instance Postfix, needs to be configured to accept
locally originating mail

My Exim examples:-

daemon_smtp_ports  = 25 : 55525
local_interfaces   = 127.0.0.1 : 10.123.123.42 (the IP address of the
machine)

> Only problem with that was their mail server needed a
> password to connect to the server, and alpine is currently
> compiled without that option. So I had to enter the password
> whenever I wanted to send an email.

Running your own mail server(s) generally means you simply send direct
and your emails are not delayed by problems at your ISP.

--
With best regards,

Paul.
England,