[CentOS] Fedora and CentOS no longer on speaking terms

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Aug 20 11:40:07 UTC 2011

On Saturday 20 Aug 2011 12:05:51 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-08-20 at 09:38 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > this is obviously intended to be your NFS server (who knows whether
> > > this is CentOS or Fedora 14).
> >
> > The server is CentOS 6.
> >
> > > You can only bind mount something that already
> > > exists and maybe it's empty.
> > >
> > > does ls -l /Data1 /Data2 /Data3 /home show much of anything?
> >
> > Yes, it lists the contents of each of them.
> >
> > > On the other system (the NFS client), what does it have in fstab?
> >
> > 192.168.0.40:/Data1 /mnt/borg_Data1 nfs4
> > rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0
> >
> >  0
> >
> > and equivalents for each of the others.
> >
> > As I said originally, these lines worked with nfs4 on CentOS 5.
>
> ----
> then issuing the command (on the Fedora client)
>
> mount /mnt/borg_Data1
> should either work or fail and give you a message (at worst, log
> to /var/log/messages).
>
> This of course assumes that it isn't already mounted which could be
> noted by simply issuing a 'mount' command by itself to see what is
> mounted.
>
> You may have to check /var/log/messages on the CentOS server for clues
> too.

Every attempt to mount was simply hanging - so no help at all.  However, as
you will have seen by now, the problem is solved.  I was right that I had
missed some steps, and you were right that the mount points at the server end
were not correctly set up.  The guide on
http://www.crazysquirrel.com/computing/debian/servers/setting-up-nfs4.jspx has
got everything working again.

Thanks for trying to help.

Anne