[CentOS] dependency error with xerces.c ???

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Wed Dec 14 00:30:35 UTC 2011

On 12/13/2011 02:36 PM, ken wrote:
> On 12/13/2011 02:30 PM Lucian wrote:
>> On 13 December 2011 19:17, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
>>> # yum update
>>> --> Running transaction check
>>> --> Processing Dependency: libxerces-c.so.27 for package: phc
>>> ---> Package xerces-c.i386 0:2.8.0-1.el5.centos set to be updated
>>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>>> phc-0.1.7-1.el5.rf.i386 from installed has depsolving problems
>>>   --> Missing Dependency: libxerces-c.so.27 is needed by package
>>> phc-0.1.7-1.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
>>> Error: Missing Dependency: libxerces-c.so.27 is needed by package
>>> phc-0.1.7-1.el5.rf.i386 (installed)
>>>  You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>>>  You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>>>                         package-cleanup --dupes
>>>                         rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>>> # locate libxerces
>>> /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.27
>>> /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.27.0
>>> /usr/lib/libxerces-depdom.so.27
>>> /usr/lib/libxerces-depdom.so.27.0
>>> # rpm -qa|grep xerces
>>> xerces-c-2.7.0-8.el5
>>> xerces-j2-2.7.1-7jpp.2.el5_4.2
>>>

>>> How to resolve this?
>>
>> You should ask this on repoforge/rpmforge mailing lists..
>
> Thanks, Lucien.  This package is from the extras repo.  Does that make a
> difference?
>
> Also, I understand what you're saying.  But (and this is not to you in
> particular, rather to "the system") rather than having to join yet
> another mailing list just to report a problem... and then send an email
> to everyone on that list, why couldn't the package give an email address
> like bugs@[whatever_repo] to send a report to.

The package you are having a problem with has a .rf in the name ... that
means it is a package from the repoforge repo.

You might make sure the rpms are installed properly so that the rpm
database knows it exists (and it is not orphaned at the location).  What
does this return:

rpm -q --whatprovides /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.27

also, download the file xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm what does
this say:

rpm -qpl xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm

It would seem that xerces-c-2.8.0-1.el5.centos.i386.rpm is going to
upgrade the library to /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.28 to me.

This is going to cause an issue with that repoforge package.  You can
use exclude= for the extras repo, ask repoforge to rebuild the package
against the new version, or probably force install the rpm and symlink
/usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.28 to /usr/lib/libxerces-c.so.27 and see if it
works.