[CentOS] RHEL-6 vs. CentOS-5.5

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 01:04:43 UTC 2011

On 2/2/11 5:57 PM, Chuck Munro wrote:

> The use of the new RHEL-6/CentOS-6 'udevadm' command nicely maps out the
> hardware path no matter the order the drives are detected/named, and
> since hardware paths are fixed, I just have to attach a little tag to
> each SATA cable with that path number on it.  One thing I did was reboot
> the machine *many* times to make sure the controller cards were always
> enumerated by Linux in the same slot order.

I think there are ways that drives can fail that would make them not be detected
at all - and for an autodetected raid member in a system that has been rebooted,
not leave much evidence of where it was when it worked.  If your slots are all
full you may still be able to figure it out but it might be a good idea to save
a copy of the listing when you know everything is working.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com