[CentOS] Standard location for hotplug-time hdparm invocation

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Feb 27 15:37:23 UTC 2011

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> From: Kenneth Porter <shiva at sewingwitch.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Standard location for hotplug-time hdparm invocation
>
> I need to disable the spin-down on an external USB drive
> because it spins down spontaneously while in use. The
> drive forgets the spindown-disable state across power
> outage so I need to reissue the hdparm command with each
> boot or hotplug. Where should I put the hdparm command to
> do this?

Not sure about hotpluging, but for the reboot
/etc/rc.d/rc.local might be a good place to try this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# This script will be executed *after* all the other init
# scripts. You can put your own initialization stuff in here
# if you don't want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

# turn off DMA for hde WD drive
# -d0 = off
# -d1 = on
# hdparm -d0 /dev/hde

# set sector count for multiple sector I/O
# WD drives like a low setting
# to prevent I/O data errors.
# hdparm -m2 /dev/hde

Kind Regards,