[CentOS] if you install cgi programs from rpm, how to configure for actual use in /var/www/html ?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 16:03:34 UTC 2011

On 1/6/2011 10:31 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:

>> What is keeping it from working with the supplied:
>> Alias /phpMyAdmin /usr/share/phpMyAdmin
>> (i.e. to the install location)?

> You mean to say it does work for you, as delivered? Or that it ought
> to work for me, but you are just guessing?

It works as-is on Centos 5.5 w/SELinux disabled.  Which is why I asked
what is stopping it on your system.  It can either be changes you've
made to your httpd.conf or it could be SELinux and you should be able to
tell by the logged error messages.

> In RedHat 6, at least, I cannot get ANY application to work if it does
> not offer files up from /var/www/html (no matter what the http config
> says).  I now *THINK* the reason is SELinux.  I understand http
> configuration, SELinux is a whole different problem.  I  understand
> the concept, but the tools to configure it are mysterious.  The system
> will not offer things from /usr/share or whatnot, even if I alter the
> httpd config to allow it. The mediawiki RPM comes along with an
> httpd.conf file that tries to allow it.  But the system won't allow
> it.  Today I realized will not allow symbolic links from /var/www/html
> pointing into "safe" parts of the file system.

Your httpd.conf can permit symlinks or not.  After that, what happens
should depend on file system permissions and SELinux.  If the SELinux
labels are wrong, you can complain to the RPM packager, fix them, move
the files to a place where the default is right, or disable SELinux.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com