[CentOS] Power-outage

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Fri Jul 1 15:36:19 UTC 2011

On 7/1/2011 10:59 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

> APC UPSes are supported by apcupsd.  Other brands, not so much.  Some
> (read: cheaper models) have their own special protocol and don't
> include Linux support.  These solutions are intended for the cheaper or
> otherwise 'unsupported' UPSes.  It *sounds* like the OP does not need
> something smart and is probably looking for something cheap.

And the APC Smart-UPS 750 units are not all that expensive either.  Even
the 1500VA units are a lot less expensive then they were 5-10 years ago.
  $250-$300 to protect $2000-$6000 worth of hardware is worth it in my book.

(I prefer the Smart-UPS units for a variety of reasons.  Line filtering,
voltage regulation, and nice reporting features via apcupsd.  We have
MRTG polling the apcupsd data regularly and have graphs of line voltage
/ operating temperature.  There are even variants with the audible alarm
disabled, which is perfect for a home office where you don't need that
high powered screech.)