[CentOS] Power-outage

Brunner, Brian T. BBrunner at gai-tronics.com
Fri Jul 1 15:46:40 UTC 2011

centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
> On 7/1/2011 10:59 AM, Robert Heller wrote:
>>
>> APC UPSes are supported by apcupsd.  Other brands, not so much.  Some
>> (read: cheaper models) have their own special protocol and don't
>> include Linux support.  These solutions are intended for the cheaper
>> or otherwise 'unsupported' UPSes.  It *sounds* like the OP does not
>> need something smart and is probably looking for something cheap.
>>

> And the APC Smart-UPS 750 units are not all that expensive
> either.  Even the 1500VA units are a lot less expensive then they were
5-10
> years ago.   $250-$300 to protect $2000-$6000 worth of hardware is
worth
> it in my book.

To what extent does a UPS *protect* the hardware?
Maintaining up-time during brief brown-outs is one thing I expect of a
UPS,
Orderly shutdown is another thing I expect of a UPS.

*protection* of the PC from irregularity in the AC Mains by a UPS,
however, I question.
Rather, it seems, any power irregularity that would kill a PC by
propagating through the PSU will also propagate through the UPS.

NO UPS MADE TODAY (according to my reading of the stats on
advertisements) eats lightning strikes and asks for more.

So per your experiences and greater technical savvy: What PSU/PC kill
power irregularities will be stopped by which UPS?

Insert spiffy .sig here:
Life is complex: it has both real and imaginary parts.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

//me