[CentOS] What are the advantages of upgrading from 5.6 to 6?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Wed Jul 6 21:10:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011, Robert Heller wrote:

> From: Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] What are the advantages of upgrading from 5.6 to 6?

>> I've just installed CentOS 5.6. What would I get if I upgraded to 6?
>> Would I have to reinstall all applications or could I just restore my
>> /etc and /usr directories and do an update?
>
> Well, CentOS 6 is likely to be somewhat different than 5.6 -- lots of
> stuff has changed.  You would get newer base versions of various
> packages and a newer base kernel.  Otherwise it depends...
>
> You'd have to do a fresh install, and then using a backup of your /etc
> as a guide, re-configure everything. If your system works just fine
> with 5.6, *I'd* say leave it alone for now. I am certainly not in any
> hurry to upgrade.

I have written a set of bash scripts to do just that, ie a
fresh install and configuration. They are highly extendable
and configurable, and written in a modular fashion.
Originally for Fedora to deal with the twice yearly
upgrades, but I have also used them for installing Centos
5.5, which appears to have now upgraded itself to 5.6

Please check them out at:

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts