[CentOS] CentOS 6 system-config-bind missing?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 05:42:22 UTC 2011

On 7/13/11 12:07 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 07/12/11 9:50 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> It is easy enough to build the forward zones (except for verifying that your MX
>> and CNAME entries don't reference other CNAMES), but painful to do the reverse
>> ones.  Is there a simple packaged script to do a sanity/syntax check and make
>> the reverse zone files for you?
>
> the ones I've seen have been woefully inadequate.   many of my domains
> stretch across multiple IP providers, not all of whom I have RDNS on
> anyways.

You can still get control delegated to you although it is somewhat ugly if the
range doesn't hit class C boundaries.

> re: cname's, I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't use CNAME within your
> own domain(s), and only use them if you can't possibly use anything
> else...  About the ONLY place I use them is things like aiming a host at
> something like google where you HAVE to use a CNAME.

We disagree then.  I think you should rarely give out anything but CNAMEs tied
to services unless you only run one service per address because otherwise you
can't split them apart later.  It just becomes messy when your zones are managed
by different people and the targets of CNAMEs later are converted to CNAMEs
themselves.  You aren't supposed to do that, but it is common enough that
everything follows them anyway.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com