[CentOS] Setting hostname and network settings in 6.0 text mode installer

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Jul 13 12:55:01 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, July 12, 2011 05:57:57 PM Joe Mata wrote:
> I did actually.  They and the RHEL 6.0 release notes don't state that
> hostname and network settings configuration options are unavailable:
> So this is correct -- no option to set these at install time using the
> text based installer, eh?  Such a shame.

The system will offer you the option to set those up during firstboot, with a text-mode interface, at least on upstream RHEL 6.1.

And, yes, it's somewhat unfortunate that it's not specifically documented that networking can't be set up in the text mode installer.  Even in the GUI installer you have to manually click the button unless the install path you have chosen needs networking for installation.

Including network and other option setup in text mode apparently presented bloat in anaconda, and made it bigger than it already was..... (search the upstream EL6 beta list, please, for several messages about that.....)