[CentOS] CentOS 6.0 chkconfig strange behavior

Devin Reade gdr at gno.org
Fri Jul 22 19:00:52 UTC 2011

--On Friday, July 22, 2011 11:10:29 AM -0700 Jerry Moore <tech10 at mcn.org>
wrote:

> It appears that chkconfig is re sequencing or re ordering the start
> priority of various services when turning on a service using chkconfig.
[...]
> The only solution I've found is to remove the entire BEGIN INIT INFO to
> END INIT INFO section. Once that is removed it no longer changes the
> network startup priority when enabling the snmpd service.

SuSE (and perhaps some other distributions) have for a few years
been using that BEGIN/END INIT INFO block instead of the 'chkconfig'
line to determine ordering, and will do exactly as you described.

Without having looked into the CentOS 6 case, I would guess that
the mechanism used in RHEL has changed to match.  This could very
well be related to the LSB project, although that's just a guess, too.

Devin