[CentOS] gconftool-2 scripted customizations (was Re: running X as root in centos 6)

Patrick Lists centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl
Wed Jul 27 19:13:35 UTC 2011

On 07/27/2011 08:58 PM, 夜神 岩男 wrote:
>> Some of the gnome-terminal color stuff I have been using for F14:
>
> Very helpful -- splitting it up makes more sense I was trying recently
> to get things done through the /blah/blahblah/Default/palette key for
> gnome-terminal and its behaving oddly. Do I need to be escaping any
> characters or making more use of quotes for the color indicators?

Not sure. I don't recall having to escape anything. If you use
gconf-editor and go to apps/gnome-terminal/profiles/Default and click on
background_color then at the bottom there is an explanation. It seems to
suggest that text needs to be quoted ("red") but hex values for the
color not. I quoted the hex values in F14 and they all worked.

I think there is also some gconf info on freedesktop.org. Maybe it has
the answer. Or just do it by trial-and-error :)

> PS: As far as Gnome2 goes... there was so much promise with the gconf
> system (customize *everything* in a script, if you just learn the
> incantations) that I am really frustrated that Gnome3 didn't turn out to
> be a refactoring effort instead of a "let's make everyone's multi-head
> systems into a huge iPad" disaster. Meh... That argument has been had
> elsewhere enough that I am actually pretty eager to see how 3.2 or so
> turns out.

Agreed. I am looking forward to 3.2 too. Hopefully gconf/dconf will be
more unified.

Regards,
Patrick