[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Always Learning centos at u6.u22.net
Sun Jul 31 13:28:06 UTC 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-31 at 13:41 +0200, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> On 07/31/2011 05:07 AM, Always Learning wrote:

> >> that doesn't do the redirect.  I *want* it so that if you go to any of
> >> these URLs...
> >>
> >>       http://astro.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >>       http://www.astro.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >>       http://www.astronomy.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >>
> >> you get redirected to
> >>       http://astronomy.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >>
> >> try it, you'll see how that works.
> >

> > Instead of being 'redirected' why not go straight to the required web
> > site http://astronomy.santa-cruz.ca.us whatever you enter:-
> >
> >          http://astro.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >          http://www.astro.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >          http://www.astronomy.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >          http://astronomy.santa-cruz.ca.us
> >

> > ?
> >
> > Why make two moves when one is sufficient ?
>
> Because once people link to the site or bookmark it using all four domains
> you essentially have to maintain all four domains for the rest of the live
> of the site i.e. through redesigns, restructurings, moves, etc.

Please kindly excuse any misunderstanding I may appear to exhibit.

My Point Number 1: ONE web site.

My Point Number 2: 4 different web site addresses go automatically to
the ONE web site.

My Point Number 3: no redirection just straight to the single web site.

My Point Number 4: This works well for me in Apache 2.

Thus the only maintenance is:-

(5) one web site.

(6) 4 DNS A records pointing to the same IP address

> The better approach is to declare one domain as canonical and redirect all
> other domains to it.

I simply use 'A' records pointing to the same IP address.

> Also Google can reduce your page rank if it find the same content under
> multiple domains because it thinks you are cheating. Nowadays Google is
> supposed to be smart about this and doesn't count www.* vs non-www.* as
> duplicate content but the exact rules how Google determines this are not known.

In the 10 years I have seriously hosted several personal web sites, I
have neither cared about Google ratings not sought to enhance the
position in search engine listings. However, much to my surprise, I am
top of the Google listing for some searches and within the top 5 for
others.

I really do not care about being rated. I never worry about visitors
because they come if they want to.  The negative side of running
personal web sites, circa 8,000 pages, is the maintenance effort whilst
creating new pages and writing the content and doing other unrelated
tasks.

--
With best regards,

Paul.