[CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the same IP

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Sun Jul 31 16:05:14 UTC 2011

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, John R Pierce wrote:

> To: centos at centos.org
> From: John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] www.mydomain.org and mydomain.org should resolve to the
>     same IP
>
> On 07/31/11 6:28 AM, Always Learning wrote:
>> Please kindly excuse any misunderstanding I may appear to exhibit.
>>

> as Peter says, I intentionally set it up this way so that no matter
> which alias you go to, you END UP with the preferred URL for
> bookmarking, etc.  This also makes the internal page caching on my site
> work better... on this drupal built site, ALL the pages are dynamically
> generated content, but when anonymous users visit common pages, they'll
> get the cached last value.   the caching is by full URL, so forcing all
> users to use the canonical form ensures maximum effectiveness.

Makes perfect sense to me. Once a visitor hits your website
using a name-based virtual-host domain name, then Apache
will continue to use that name for the rest of their visit.

So redirecting to the domain name of your choice deals with
the aforementioned issues, even though it might be a little
bit more complicated to set up - not that much though ;)

BTW - without putting this thread into OT territory, have
you seen TEXTPATTERN CMS? Well worth taking a look at. It's
GPL'd OSS, with a great community of developers and
contributors. Disputed to be 'THE' only CMS you'll ever want
to use.

http://textpattern.com/

The Many Reasons to use Textpattern

With a browser-based interface in over 40 languages,
excellent support and full range of features, it's no wonder
that publishers, designers and developers everywhere choose
Textpattern.

Textpattern is For Publishers:

     * Direct, easy to follow interface - "just write"
     * Fast, intuitive editing of articles, links, comments,
       page elements
     * Quick conversion of plain text to valid XHTML with
       Textile
     * Upload and organise images and files via browser
     * More reasons to use Textpattern!

Textpattern is For Designers:

     * Fast copy/paste of plugins to extend TXP's
       capabilities
     * Supported by development team and community on lively
       forum
     * Standards compliant by default
     * No limit to style, layout or sections
     * More reasons to use Textpattern!

Also take a look at the links in the LH menu,
under 'External Textpattern Links'

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: