[CentOS] CentOS 5.5 does not recognise SAS drives with LSI 1068E Controller

Peter Peltonen peter.peltonen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:08:14 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 6:35 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote:
> RedShift wrote on Thu, 10 Mar 2011 17:05:02 +0100:
>
>> That controller doesn't really support RAID, what you're getting is
>> commonly called FakeRAID
>
> If you are referring to the 1068E, that is completely wrong.

The vendor who built the server confirmed that the controller card
should be LSI 1068E.

I found a driver for RHEL5.5 from LSI's page. And some more digging
revealed that I should be able to use linux dd=url format for loading
the driver from network as the machine has no floppy. I will test that
next week when I get my hands on that machine again.

A few questions though I would like to get answered:

1) What is the best way to find out if a certain controller etc is
supported by the kernel? Do I need to download the kernel src rpm,
install it and look for some documentation/source somewhere?

2) If I need to use the binary driver by LSI, how do I proceed with
kernel updates?

Best regards,
Peter