[CentOS] Some relevant information

Sam Trenholme strenholme.usenet at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:33:20 UTC 2011

>> * As mentioned before, Scientific Linux 6.0 is out.  What hasn't been
>> mentioned here is that while SL 5.6 hasn't come out, 5.6 security
>> updates are being backported to SL 5.5.  Ditto with SL 4 (no 4.9 but
>> security patches look current)
>>
> And we try very hard not to release things until they pass our QA testing.

Let me make something clear: I have been a CentOS user since 2006.  I
really, really appreciate all of the contributions the CentOS team has
made--contributions which have been made without being properly
compensated for the time and effort made.

> We are still finding and correcting issues with the 5.6 things that we
> have built (things not properly linking when compared to upstream, etc).

As I mentioned before, the CentOS team owes me nothing.  If the CentOS
team decides tomorrow that deathmatching Nexuiz (errr, Xonotic,
because how dare anyone try making money with their open-source
project) is more fun than making security updates and getting 5.6 or 6
out the door, enjoy yourselves!  CentOS does not owe me a single
release more or even a single security update.

For me, I would rather have timely releases and security updates than
guaranteed binary compatibility.  My appeal of a RHEL clone is that I
will be able to use a RHEL 5 clone until 2014 (RHEL 6 clone until
2017) and have security issues fixed.

Anyway, thank you for the great work, and it has been a pleasure using
CentOS for so many years!

- Sam