[CentOS] CUPS drivers for wide printer

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Thu Mar 24 15:19:54 UTC 2011

> I found the .ppd for our brand new HP z3200ps 44" printer - a coworker got
> me the one from the Mac, and I edited it to separate out the Mac-only
> commands (there's even an #ifdef in ppd language), and it prints; I don't
> even need postprocessing, apparently... except that even though it knows
> how wide the paper is (in this case, a 24" wide roll that came with the
> printer), it refuses to print a picture that's horizontally wide
> horizontally, it insists on doing it vertically. That is
>
>           ========= saturn =========
>
> according to print preview, wants to print

>               saturn
>
> Anyone here worked with a wide-format printer, and/or have a suggestion as
> to what I need - is it something in the .ppd, or do I need a
> post-processor, or...?

Two questions:

What format is the 'picture': is it a graphics file (eg .jpeg, etc.) or
a PDF/PS file or some sort of document (eg word processing file)?

What program are you using to print it?

The printer (or its driver / PPD file) are not going to control the
orientation, unless the printer has some 'natural' orientation that is
not obvious -- that is it is possible that the printer (or its driver)
'thinks' of the print head as going up and down, rather than side to
side and the the feed edge is a side rather than the top/bottom.  This
orientation is unusual, but I guess possible.  It is most likely that
the software you are using is doing something odd.