[CentOS] EL 6 rollout strategies? (Scientific Linux)

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Mon May 16 18:47:30 UTC 2011

On 05/16/2011 01:24 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/16/2011 12:27 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>>
>> The point is that we do not have a system built that can track that sort
>> of stuff ... and we can either build packages or design systems to track
>> stuff.
>
> You don't really have to design a system for build automation/tracking
> since there are several free ones available.  Of course there is a
> tradeoff in terms of how quickly the automation would win back the time
> it takes to configure it.
>
>> We are working on a new website design.
>>
>> We opened up a new QAWeb.
>>
>> We have an announce list.
>
> All great, and much appreciated, particularly compared to previous
> postings that implied that nothing needed to change or was ever going
> to.  Still, I don't see how these help with the underlying issue of
> resources unless the bottleneck is in post-build QA.
>
>> As far as build logs are concerned, they reside on the build server ...
>> where we had people try to "break into".  That machine is now hidden and
>> references to its name are also hidden.  We can't have people pounding
>> away against important servers ... there is no such thing as a
>> completely secure setup.  We therefore will not make our build machines
>> open to the public.
>
> Agreed on the security comment, hence the concern about timely updates.
>   It is pretty much a given that any public site will be hit with all
> known exploit attempts, but it is somewhat unsettling to think that the
> project itself considers that to be a problem.  But, most of both the
> 'pounding' and security issues can be handled with a simple caching
> reverse-proxy server easily configured in squid/apache/nginx, etc..  And
> with build automation frameworks like jenkins/hudson, the results and
> logs are collated on a central server that mostly does scheduling, not
> the actual work: http://ci.jenkins-ci.org/builds.

Wonderful except it is a build server ... and certain things need to
function without a proxy.

It doesn't matter though, because regardless of what I do, it is not
enough for you.

I am already busting my ass to give a $2500.00 piece of software to you
for free, to use as many times as you want to ... saving you as much
money as $2500.00 x <number_you_run>

Now, not only do I need to bust my ass to provide it to you for free,
but I also need to do other things for you to.  I need to provide you
access to stuff and I need to track things in a different way and I need
to setup elaborate systems.  AND, I need to tell you exactly how I build
it too.

Can't you ungrateful bastards take the free software I make by following
the licensing requirements and be happy with that?