[CentOS] CentOS 5.6 PHP 5.3 and SquirrelMail

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Wed May 25 13:50:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 09:43:48AM -0400, Steven Crothers wrote:

> Why should a PHP 5.3 package provide PHP? To many libs are different,
> and it would allow for the installation of something like php-ldap
> from base to a php53 which provided the php dependency. That is not
> how RPM's are supposed to work. PHP 5.1 is significantly different
> enough to warrant a different package. Would you package postgres84 to
> satisfy postgres? No, because it would be wrong. A more correct
> solution would be to change the dependencies for the cross-php
> packages to allow for a php or php53 to satisfy.

Many packages work just fine with 5.3; a simple -compat package could
Provide: php and permit such to install and work without issue.

Note that I am not arguing that there are some significant differences
between the legacy 5.1 and the more modern 5.3 only that for the example
I cited in a later reply should work with the 5.3 from upstream if the
needed deps were matched.  And to be honest, for all I know this
specific issue may have already been addressed by upstream.

							John

--
"I am on a drug, its called 'Charlie Sheen'.  It's not available cuz if you
try it once you will die. Your face will melt off and children will weep

-- Charlie Sheen