[CentOS] CentOS 5.6 PHP 5.3 and SquirrelMail

John Hinton webmaster at ew3d.com
Wed May 25 16:19:48 UTC 2011

On 5/24/2011 5:41 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 01:00:01PM -0400, John Hinton wrote:
>> OK, so I did an upgrade to PHP 5.3 on one of my servers. I noticed the
>> uninstall of php also removed SquirrelMail and it won't install under
>> PHP 5.3. Has anybody worked this out with a good RPM or repo solution?
> Dump the CentOS php53 package and use the 5.3 provided by the IUS
> repository.  See http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories
> for more information and links to IUS.
>
> CentOS' 5.3 doesn't Provide: php and has some other issues the last time
> I looked.
Thanks John. The IUS repository looks really good (or reliable). It
seems that they have also used the same type of naming convention used
by Redhat for php53 with the addition of i or whatever. This is pretty
nice for adding and removing packages. Unfortunately, I'm thinking that
this will cause the same dependency problem as things like php-common
won't be found.

Yes, I know I 'can' just go do an install of something like
SquirrelMail, something we immediately would need, but that would
potentially just be the beginning of issues on a shared hosting system.
It sounds like I should just sit back and wait for 6 if I want to stay
on upstream (and select repos) for package updates. That has been my
hard headed decision for many years and in those many years, has proven
to save a lot of future grief and eliminated in some cases some
additional downtime during compiles.

Looks like if my need for PHP53 is absolute, I'll just move that client
to the one 'custom' system and they'll just have to understand that
there might be a bit more downtime, then move them onto a 6 box once
deployed.

And yes, PHP has been the one thing that has repeatedly been the dawg
with using Redhat. 6 was way late out from upstream and then the
promised option in 5 appears to be at least a bit of a smoking gun.

--
John Hinton
877-777-1407 ext 502