[CentOS] redhat vs centos

Craig White craig.white at ttiltd.com
Wed Nov 2 18:04:50 UTC 2011

On Nov 2, 2011, at 10:43 AM, Bill Campbell wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 02, 2011, Lamar Owen wrote:
>> On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 01:46:57 AM Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>> Personally I am thinking of staying away from all red hat clones due to
>>> redhat's actions for my own security.
>>> The only thing on the horizon I see is ubuntu server as best supported
>>> and up to date.
>>
>> There are really two good enterprise-grade alternatives, in my opinion, one free and one not:
>> 1.) SuSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES);
>
> We were using that about 5 years ago, and paid Novell a fair amount of
> money in their Partner program.  Novell's support was slim to non-existent
> leading to our move to CentOS.
>
> Given the recent sale to Attachmate and such, I wouldn't invest any time or
> money in SLES.
----
I gave up on any notion of SLES long before then.

Also, the one time I actually requested any kind of support from an RHEL entitlement, it took them the full 48 hours to get back to me with an answer which I solved myself about about 2 hours after I asked - so yeah, CentOS seemed to be enough for me.

With Ubuntu, you do actually have access to incident level support I guess - not that I am likely to ever use it.

Craig