[CentOS] Missing stuff in /bin

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 14:39:51 UTC 2011

On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 9:04 AM, John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Having a weird issue with CentOS 6. I lost a lot of stuff in /bin/
>> (cp,rpm,cat and others) on one host, but that was a development
>> machine and I'm not really sure what happened there.
>>
>> - coreutils & vim-minimal are installed according to rpm
>
> Do you miss all coreutils files or just a few...?
> rpm -qV coreutils
>
> How did you remove postgresql...?
> rpm -e or yum remove?

This sounds like a local problem.  'rpm -Va' should show everything
that differs from the packages that should be installed and you can
use 'yum reinstall' to fix them up.  Not sure if there is a handy way
to see the packages the damaged/missing files belong to all at once,
but 'rpm -q --whatprovides /path/to/file' will check individually.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com