[CentOS] please help

Always Learning centos at u61.u22.net
Fri Sep 2 11:54:54 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 09:59 +0500, Liang Arsalan wrote:

> i am a user of windows and use little bit ubuntu
> my friend told me to use centos for web development
> i have question that what is features of centos.

Hallo Liang,

Centos is the free version of Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
Volunteers remove all the 'Red Hat' branding; then recompile the sources
and make the distribution. The volunteers also maintain the
distribution.

Centos copies Red Hat's policy of maintaining distributions for many
years. This means users can be sure they will not have change
distributions every 6 months or every 1 or 2 years. Centos distributions
are maintained for about 7 years.

Centos is used by home users, business users and in Data Centres.

Centos is a very professional operating system. It contains most
(sometimes all) of the Linux features professional users expect. Extra
features and programmes can be added, already compiled for Centos, from
special sites known as 'Repositories'.

Centos can be updated with bug fixes, improvements and new versions of
programmes by using a simple command

	yum update  (which updates everything installed)

	yum update xxxx (which updates XXXX)

Yum has several options. It is one of the most useful tools in Centos.
The name means 'Yellow Dog Updated Modified'. Yellow Dog is/was the name
of a Linux distribution.

You can install extra software, if a version is available in a
repository, with

	yum install xxxxx

Like other Linux distributions, Centos lets you have 'Windows'. The most
common are Gnome and KDE but several other types of 'Windows' can be
run.

To operate and test a web site, you will need Apache (or one of its
competitors), PHP (a programming language which can be used in web pages
and in Centos - it is similar to a BASH script), a database (I use
MySQL). All of these are supplied in the basic version of Centos.

Centos has mail servers Sendmail, Exim etc. It has a DNS server called
BIND ('Named'). Centos is a complete and advanced operating system
containing everything a normal computer user will require.

Centos is available for i386 & i686 machines (32 bit processors) and X64
(64 bit processors). I believe Centos is available for other types of
CPUs too.

I use Centos on servers, laptops, notebooks and home PCs. So do my
friends who are not computer 'experts'. They prefer Centos instead of M$
Windoze.

Centos can be installed on a normal personal computer ('PC') in addition
to M$ Windoze. This means when you start the PC, you will have a choice
to use M$ Windoze or Centos. This is called 'dual booting'.

The biggest attraction for me to use Centos are:-

	1. It is not M$ Windoze

	2. It is free

	3. It is very stable and reliable and boring.

Centos is boring because it 'just works without problems' and works very
well.

Best regards,

Paul,
England