[CentOS] Selinux extra packages and compiled apps

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Fri Sep 2 16:15:32 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011, John Doe wrote:

> I am in the process of trying (and convincing my colleagues) to learn/setup
>
> selinux as we switch to 6.0...
> Quick question: do I really "need" to install the setools/setroubleshoot
> packages or can I live without them?  They want to install 80 packages
> (gnome stuff, gstreamer, gtk, tcl/tk...) and I would like to avoid installing
> all sort of graphical tools/libs on my lean servers.

> Can I just install setools-console by example?

What does experiemntation with yum in a testing mode indicate
with  the packageset on your box - dependency trees have an
effectively infinite number of permutations

> Is there a console only equivalent for setroubleshoot?
>
> If you know a must-have "selinux for dummies" like howto, apart from
> Redhat/Fedora doc or CentOS wiki

What is wrong with the article at:
 	http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/SELinux

as the timestamps will indicate another CentOS dev team member
pointed out some deficiencies to me in it last night, and I
was working on it for a couple of hours, and then a docs group
member did style cleanups behind me

It is not a completed work, but it is now relevant to CentOS
6

It also covers writing custom rules for local 'in house'
applications

I also know that the CentOS Planet RSS aggregator carried a
rather long teaching rant I wrote a while back
 	http://orcorc.blogspot.com/2010/12/ripping-out-safeties.html

seeming right before I injured my ankle, from the datestamp --
probably a bad karhma reward from the internet dieties and
sprirts for my attitidinal expectation that technical people
do research before asking

yeah -- I am just a sore head -- that's it

-- Russ herrold