[CentOS] vi defaults in 6.x

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Aug 20 15:27:36 UTC 2012

<m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> This just verifies that you're playing word games. If you want vi that's
> not vim, may I ask which *version* of vi you would consider to be vi - one
> from, say, Sun OS 3? Or from the Irix that ran on our Indigo in the
> early/mid-nineties? or one from Tru-64 in the late nineties? or were you
> insisting on one that ran on a system from the early-to-mid-eighties?

SunOS 3		Vi source not available to the public.
Irix		Vi source not available to the public.
Tru-64		Vi source not available to the public.

You currently may have the vi source from aprox. 1979 under a 4 clause BSD license
or the current Solaris vi under the CDDL. The latter was POSIX compliant approved.

Jörg