[CentOS] - problem with reboot or shutdown

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Dec 17 19:13:01 UTC 2012

Hi, Paolo,

Paolo De Michele wrote:
> On 12/17/2012 07:39 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Paolo De Michele wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a problem with my CentOS 6.3 distribution
>>> only when I restart or turn off the machine it does not restart
>>> properly. remains in both cases black screen and then I do not
>>> understand exactly what he's doing.
>>>
>> How long did it take before - were you using 6.2, or is this a new
>> install on a new machine?
> It is a new installation

Ok. Have you worked with machines like this model before? Does it have a
*lot* of memory (that is, hundreds of gigs)? We have servers that take a
*while* to "configure memory", and unless the BIOS setting for "quick
post" is true, it takes forever. (We had one server that was taking 10-20
MINUTES to finish the BIOS POST).

>>> grub after I hit send and then darkness.
>>> only after that forcement for a further time the power cycle then it
>>> works.
>> Sorry, I don't understand what you're saying here - it's just sentence
>> fragments that don't tell me anything.
> The OS does not have a DE

A DE - default?

> When I turn off/on or reboot the machine, after grub  I see charge the
> os but then when it should ask me for the login, black screen

Do you mean you see the grub menu? Has it come all the way up? Do you have
it coming up in runlevel 5? In the last case, you might have a problem
with X.

> I solve the problem by turn off/on the machine a couple of times

VERY MUCH not a good solution. You might consider talking to the vendor
about warranty support.

      mark