[CentOS] Can anyone talk infrastructure with me?

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Jan 27 01:39:06 UTC 2012

On 01/27/2012 12:14 AM, Raymond Lillard wrote:
> There are two reasons T1 is more expensive.  T1 requires
> 2 copper pairs in the cable.  Those 2 pairs not available
> for voice traffic.  The other reason is the uptime
> requirements.

the DS<X> or the old T<X> standard does not still deliver better
performance, reliability or maintainability/manageability than a network
cable plugged into the rack switch in a hosting facility. Also, with
these sort of telco links in ( not consumer grade adsl etc ) one needs
fairly expensive and hard to manage LTE kit. Then there is the p-o-f issues.

In this day and age, building out a facility inhouse only makes sense if
you have hundreds or more servers or need a facility that has no
internet links ( very very few of those these days ) or you are a
hosting company looking to build 30,000 odd sqft space to then lease out
and are going to plumb in multi fibre inbound.

Think about it - do you even want Inergen Canisters floating around a
residential facility ? Halon 1301 ? Or are you going to put in a
sprinker system and hope the insurance man does not test-run it and kill
every bit of electric equipment you have on site.

Just my 2bits.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219    | Yahoo IM: z00dax      | Gtalk: z00dax