[CentOS] Question about storage for virtualisation

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Mon Jul 2 16:23:21 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jul 02, 2012 at 10:56:50AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Stephen Harris <lists at spuddy.org> wrote:
> >
> > _TODAY_ (where I have an MMC card in my wallet that's almost 1000 times
> > bigger than that old hard disk!) the rationale for a / and /usr split is a
> > lot less.
>
> No it isn't.  There are still good reasons to not require unnecessary
> stuff on your boot device in spite of the fact that you've managed to

Your boot device can be (typically is) different to your root device.
And even if you really meant "root" then this merger moves stuff _off_
the root disk and puts it onto /usr.  Properly done /usr can still be
a separate partition, if desired; initrd just needs to mount it.

So this proposal can make the root disk _smaller_ than it currently is.

--

rgds
Stephen