[CentOS] after last update google-chrome no runs anymore

James Pearson james-p at moving-picture.com
Wed Jul 4 09:14:58 UTC 2012

Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hello Gary,
>
> On Wed, 2012-07-04 at 11:46 +0300, Gary Trotcko wrote:
>
>>The bzip2-libs is installed at my system but libbz2.so.1.0 didn't
>>exist so I've created symlink and it hasn't effect:
>>$ ldd /opt/google/chrome/chrome | grep libbz
>>/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
>>available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
>>/opt/google/chrome/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information
>>available (required by /opt/google/chrome/chrome)
>>	libbz2.so.1.0 => /lib/libbz2.so.1.0 (0x001af000)
>

> Ok, so adding that symlink does not make Chrome happy to the point where
> it starts working? Still that requirement is a bug and suggests that
> google uses an unclean (i.e. patched) build system, not a stock RHEL or
> CentOS.
>
> As people pointed out that libz warning in itself is probably harmless.
>
> All that is left is to repeat my advise: If the suggestions given here
> do not fix your issue you might want to take it to a Chrome specific
> list. If you do take your issue there, please mention the bogus
> requirement on libbz2.so.1.0 and point out that that link is *not*
> available on stock CentOS 6 (and in all likeliness neither on RHEL 6)
> systems.

The google-chrome-stable RPM creates the symlink
/opt/google/chrome/libbz2.so.1.0 to /lib/libbz2.so.1 - and the
google-chrome wrapper sets LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include /opt/google/chrome
- so chrome finds libbz2.so.1.0 without a problem.

i.e. there isn't a problem with either libbz2.so.1.0 or libz.so.1

If chrome is not starting, then there is probably another issue - you
could try moving the preferences/profile out of the way - e.g.

  cd $HOME/.config
  mv google-chrome google-chrome.save

and try again

If that doesn't help, try running chrome through strace and see if that
gives any clues ...

James Pearson