[CentOS] process accounting on 5.7

John Doe jdmls at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 20 11:11:58 UTC 2012

From: Alan McKay <alan.mckay at gmail.com>

> I turned on process accounting and had a peek at the man page for dump-acct
> but I am still left wondering how best to make use of this info.
> We want to be able to produce some monthly stats on which labs are using
> how much of our clusters.    I know our clustering software has the ability
> to do this but unfortuantely not everyone uses the cluster commands as much
> as I keep reminding them.
> Would be nice to be able to show that user X used Y% of the CPU in a given
> month.

From a quick look, it does not seem to have a user entry in the stats...
A quick and dirty way would be to put a "script-in-the-middle" that would have
a name specific to a given user, and then parse the stats by filtering on that
script name... compute_$USER1, or compute_$UID...
The user runs its dedicated script, and then the script runs the real command...
You could add aliases in bashrc that points the generic commands to the specific
ones...

JD