[CentOS] Repositories in CentOS 5.8

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue May 22 16:58:22 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
<kaushalshriyan at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am running Cent OS 5.8 in production. Can someone please explain me about
> various repositories available in CentOS 5.8 and which third party repos (
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories) i should use it in
> Production environment.
>
> Help me understand the pros and cons.

Usually you decide what packages that aren't included in the base
distribution that you need, and then pick the repository that has them
instead of the other way around.   However EPEL is generally the first
place to look and since it has a policy of not overwriting base
packages there is not much risk in using it.

The pros are that you get access to many more applications and
libraries without having to compile and update the software yourself.
 The cons are that in certain cases the repositories have modified or
newer versions of the same packages as the base distribution which can
cause conflicts in future updates.   There are usually ways to work
around the conflicts, but it is best to avoid them unless you have a
specific need for particular modified packages.

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com