[CentOS] CentOS 6.3 - KDE login screen configuration problems

Ted Miller tedlists at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 20 02:04:40 UTC 2012

On 11/19/2012 07:25 AM, John Horne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We generally use CentOS for some servers, and so do not use a GUI
> interface. However, I have recently installed CentOS 6.3 onto a PC with
> KDE. I am familiar with KDE as I use it with Fedora for my work PC.
>
> The problem is that we would like to configure the login screen, so that
> it does not show the user list, that it does not allow the shutdown or
> reboot commands (from the login screen), and if possible to remove the
> 30 second confirmation timer that occurs when logout (via 'leave') is
> selected.
>
> I have gone into the 'System settings->Advanced->Login screen', and
> disabled both local and remote shutdowns and reboots. I have also
> disabled the showing of the user list, and disabled logout
> confirmations.
>
> However, none of this has had any effect. The login screen remains the
> same - showing the userlist and shutdown/reboot commands, and logging
> out still shows the 30 second confirmation timer.
>
> I have compared the /etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc file from the CentOS PC to my
> Fedora PC and they are similar. (I make the same changes to my work PC,
> and these take effect.)
>
> Anyone any ideas about this?
>
> Thanks,
> John.

Are you actually using KDE login?  I believe that by default Centos uses
the GDM Gnome login, even when you install KDE.  I am running Centos6 with
KDE, but I am quite certain that my login is still the default.  Before
upgrading this machine I was running Centos5, and I jumped through a bunch
of hoops to enable the KDE login screen, KDM.  I just checked, KDM is
installed, but I am quite certain it is not enabled.

Looking at my list of running programs, I find three that start with gdm- ,
even though I do not have Gnome installed.

There is a very good chance you were using KDE tools to configure a
non-functioning KDM.

Your choices seem to be:
Find the tools to configure the login manager you are actually running or
Switch to KDM as your actual login manager.

Here are a couple of links I checked:
https://www.centos.org/docs/2/rhl-rg-en-7.2/s1-x-runlevels.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/archived/KDE-GUI-Login-Configuration-HOWTO/

Ted Miller