[CentOS] Multimedia Workstation using Centos 6.3

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Tue Oct 16 12:36:38 UTC 2012

On Monday, October 15, 2012 05:11:39 PM Nux! wrote:
> I have a lot of multimedia stuff in my repo
> http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/

Ah, yes, forgot about Stella and your repos....

> and I'm willing to put some effort
> into backporting from Fedora or create new packages with a multimedia
> focus, time and other resources permit.
> Btw, Ardour3 seems doable.
> If you can come up with a proper list of what's missing, I can look
> into it.

Paul (author of Ardour) doesn't want packaged Ardour3 until it's out of beta,
but once it's out of beta it would be interesting and doable.  I highly doubt
any successfully built packages would meet the Fedora packaging guidelines
(Ardour3 has quite specific requirements, and Paul prefers the in-package
versions of certain libraries be used instead off the distribution's versions),
and thus would be a candidate for a third-party repo.  And, of course, this
isn't Fedora, but packages in the CentOS core do follow the guidelines (pretty
much, there are exceptions, obviously) that were in effect for the
corresponding Fedora version (F12/13 in the case of EL6, of course).

Kdenlive similarly has very specific requirements, and they change very
frequently.

I am in a position to be able to test such packaging, too.