[CentOS] Multiple Virtual SSL sites with Apache httpd on CentOS 5

Bent Terp bent at terp.se
Mon Feb 4 04:47:16 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 5:02 AM, Harold Pritchett <harold at uga.edu> wrote:

> I know that the upstream provider often provides services added to new
> releases as updates to the current release.  My question is how can I get
> multiple secure web sites on a
> single IP address and port?  Has the upstream provider added this function
> to the current server?

I've found this rather straightforward to do, as long as all sites are
covered by the same certificate. Remember that the encrypted tunnel is
negotiated and activated prior to the request being sent - so when the
certificate and keys are being managed, the vhost is as yet unknown. Having
all sites covered by one certificate makes that problem go away :-)

So my advice is to use a wildcard domain covering *.mycompany.com - but
remember that mycompany.com does not match *.mycompany.com, so you'll need
a redirect to www.mycompany.com....

BR Bent

PS Just realised that we did this on nginx not apache, but I really don't
expect that to be a problem.