[CentOS] LibreOffice 4.0 on Centos 5.9

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sun Feb 10 17:34:58 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 10.02.2013 15:11, schrieb fred smith:
> > I've just installed LibreOffice 4.0.0.3 on my Centos 5.9 system. the
> > previous version (3.4.x) was working fine. But 4.0.0.3 won't start up.
> > When run from a terminal it prints:
> >
> > no suitable windowing system found, exiting.
> >
> > Is this yet another case of apps moving on beyond compatibility with
> > the older components in C5?
> >
> > Or any hints for making it work?
>
> why are you using a LTS distribution to get the latest
> packages run whch even are not in Fedora?

because, well, it's my main home machine which among other things
acts as a mail server for the domain, and I just hate having to go
thru the pain of re-customizing a new installation to get it the way
I want/like it. that's why I run a non-bleeding-edge distro.

which, of course, then implies that some new software won't be
compatible. Hence my question regarding compatibility.

> maybe at least CentOS 6 instead 5 would be a better base
> for bleeding software

I'm sure I'll upgrade it soon (for some values of "soon"), but in the
meantime, still wondering if anyone else has made it work.