[CentOS] LibreOffice 4.0 on Centos 5.9

Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. eoconnor25 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 10 17:42:16 UTC 2013

On 02/10/2013 12:34 PM, fred smith wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 03:31:44PM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> Am 10.02.2013 15:11, schrieb fred smith:
>>> I've just installed LibreOffice 4.0.0.3 on my Centos 5.9 system. the
>>> previous version (3.4.x) was working fine. But 4.0.0.3 won't start up.
>>> When run from a terminal it prints:
>>>
>>> no suitable windowing system found, exiting.
>>>
>>> Is this yet another case of apps moving on beyond compatibility with
>>> the older components in C5?
>>>
>>> Or any hints for making it work?
>> why are you using a LTS distribution to get the latest
>> packages run whch even are not in Fedora?
> because, well, it's my main home machine which among other things
> acts as a mail server for the domain, and I just hate having to go
> thru the pain of re-customizing a new installation to get it the way
> I want/like it. that's why I run a non-bleeding-edge distro.
>
> which, of course, then implies that some new software won't be
> compatible. Hence my question regarding compatibility.
>
>> maybe at least CentOS 6 instead 5 would be a better base
>> for bleeding software
> I'm sure I'll upgrade it soon (for some values of "soon"), but in the
> meantime, still wondering if anyone else has made it work.

Me being a total noobie when it comes to CentOS (I've installed 6!) I am
guessing that I'd be better off just using what works with it. I'm not
trying to break my fledgling server, which doesn't even have any apps on
it yet, except what came with it. I may at some point install
Apache.....and maybe SAMBA on it!

EGO II