[CentOS] OT - 'IP' Security and Capturing Software

Anthony K akcentos at anroet.com
Wed Feb 27 10:35:45 UTC 2013

On 26/02/13 04:33, Tom Brown wrote:
> Hi
>
> After returning from a trip to discover the delights on being burgled i wonder if anyone has any experience of IP security camera(s) and software that can constantly record the stream?
>
> I have infrastructure that could store a few TB's of video data which should be plenty for a few weeks worth of recording thats attached to a CentOS 6 box.
>
> This would be purely for after the event viewing and in no way a preventative measure
>
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> thanks
I was contemplating setting up such a system then my neighbour informed
me it was a bad idea.  So I got curious and asked him why getting
evidence of a crime is a bad idea.  He reckoned that for a man with his
temperament (he is quick to anger and is rather well built), he would
end up in a maximum security joint for sure.  I ended up siding with him
in that it would be better to invest in a monitored security system and
ensure there are enough signs around the premises to alert any personnel
in the B&E business to stay out!

Below excerpt taken from [0]:

    Data shows that homes with monitored security systems are up to
    three times less likely to be broken into than homes without them.
    If you have a security system, be sure to:

      * Install the stickers and signs, so you can let the would-be
        burglar know your home won't be an easy target.
      * Test your system often to make sure it is working properly.
        Security equipment manufacturers recommend testing your system
        at least once per month.
      * Keep your key holders list updated, so you can be easily
        contacted in the event of a break-in.

    All of these things can help you prevent a burglary from happening
    to your home. Benjamin Franklin once said, *"An ounce of prevention
    is worth a pound of cure."*  This rings true when it comes to
    keeping your home safe and secure.

That's my $0.02.

[0] - http://preview.tinyurl.com/bhpgpbz