[CentOS] Samba authentication against 389 DS

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Feb 28 04:35:24 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-02-27 at 22:46 +0200, Todor Petkov wrote:
> On 27/02/2013 06:18 PM, Craig White wrote:
>
> > ----
> > all of the known methods require an unencrypted value to then hash
> > for LDAP sambaNTPassword and there is no way to take an encrypted
> > value from userPassword and convert it to sambaNTPassword
> >
> > Craig
> >

> Yeah, I know. I read many threads in 389-DS mailing list. I just wanted
> to be sure that there is no way to tell Samba 'use password instead of
> sambantpassword' before looking for other software for file sharing (not
> that I will expect to find any, everything nowdays is using some DB for
> users)
----
It used to be possible by editing the registry on Windows boxes and
disabling user password encryption (thus each user would send their
passwords over the wire in clear text) but I don't know if such a thing
is even possible with newer versions of Windows (Vista/Win7/Win8) and it
was never a practical option.

Craig

believed to be clean.