[CentOS] Help with thread Centos 6.4 won't reboot on install

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 27 17:04:09 UTC 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 8:07 AM, Robert Benjamin <benjie1 at cox.net> wrote:

>> If you can log in and use an editor in character mode you can fix it.
>>   The change needed in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 will
>> be obvious once you get that far.  But, it might be easier to
>> reinstall if you don't know how to do that.  Since it is a new install
>> anyway you won't lose anything.
>      In the CentOS forum under Software Support is my thread: Centos 6.4
> won't install on reboot. Post number 27 or 28 lists the output I got
> from FAQ2 above from cat /etc /sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0  My
> guess is the most important line there is ONBOOT=yes Anyway, there are
> suggestions in the forum which I will follow and then post the results
> back to the forum. Thanks again.

Yes, the ONBOOT=yes is already there.   However, some of the other
parts of that thread make me think that your network interface
actually comes up but you are not getting a DHCP address or the DHCP
server supplies a DNS server address that does not work.   These would
usually be supplied by your internet router.  Are you confident that
it is set up correctly?

The reason I think this is the problem is the post where you said you
could log in after a very long delay.  About the only thing that can
cause a very long delay is the system waiting for DNS responses on
what it thinks is a working network interface.   The next things
needed for further diagnosis would be the output of the 'ifconfig'
command after you are able to log in, and the results from 'cat
/etc/resolv.conf.   The first should show the IP address assigned by
DHCP from the router, and the second will have the DNS nameserver
address(es).

--
   Les Mikesell
     lesmikesell at gmail.com