[Arm-dev] Xen on Cubieboards

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Tue Aug 12 16:12:18 UTC 2014

On 2014-08-12 17:08, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 08/12/2014 11:14 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>> On 2014-08-12 12:41, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>>> Dr. Jon Crowcroft over at Cambridge (an old IETF friend), just told
>>> me
>>> that they have a XEN port to the Cubieboard.
>>>
>>> If that is of interest to anyone here, I plan on getting more
>>> information.  I have never entered into the world of virtualization
>>> (other than VM on old IBM iron), but might give it a try.
>>> Particularly
>>> if Jon gets one of his students to help me along...
>> Depending on what you intend to achieve with virtualization, you
>> may find that something like VServer is a more resource-efficient
>> solution. I use it quite extensively.
>
> If I did virtualization it would be for different OSs, like one RSEL,
> F20, then C7-test, and F21-test.

The only thing the guests share with VServer is the kernel. If you
are running the full virtualization, most of the hardware is abstracted
away anyway so you are testing the kernel designed for QEMU rather than
the real hardware. If you are only trying to test the userspace,
something like VServer (or LXC or OpenVZ) ought to suffice.

Gordan