[Arm-dev] Getting started / Build machines

D.S. Ljungmark spider at aanstoot.se
Thu Jul 3 13:25:00 UTC 2014

On 03/07/14 12:52, Gordan Bobic wrote:
> On 2014-07-03 11:42, Johnny Hughes wrote:
>> On 07/03/2014 05:19 AM, D.S. Ljungmark wrote:
>>> Excellent information, I'd love the scripts, and post-weekend sounds
>>> as
>>> if it'd fit well with my schedule.
>>>
>>> I'll see about taking the time to document steps as well so we might
>>> get
>>> a wiki started on how to do this, seems as if there are a few people
>>> who
>>> have interest, and at least documenting the basics might be good.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>   D.S.

>> I would be happy to setup mock for you if you want ... or even just put
>> what I have been using for mock configs here on this list for a test
>> build.
>>
>> I personally would rather produce the RPMs via mock as that prevents
>> pulling in spurious links for packages because the buildroot is too fat
>> (ie, in RHEL, package-y.x.z does not link against package-a.b.c because
>> it is not a BuildRequire and not installed in the mock build root ..
>> but
>> if run with the package-a.b.c in the buildroot, the configure process
>> checks for and links against it.
>
> Indeed, I touched upon that in my previous post, but that doesn't
> really matter too much for the first build pass, as you are going
> to rebuild everything again anyway. And you can pick off the few
> build failures arising from too much junk in the build environment
> before the second pass via mock rebuilds.
>
>> All mock does is build a minimum clean build root for each package
>> where
>> only the specific requires for building are in the build root so that
>> each package gets only what it needs to build and builds are more
>> consistently.
>
> Sure, but the time it takes to rm -rf the build root and then untar
> a cached build root copy is a non-trivial fraction of the build
> time for a lot of the packages. It is certainly not trivial when
> you multiply it by around 2,000 for the number of packages you are
> going to need to build.
>
>  From experience, anything you can do to get past the first stage
> build faster is usually a good idea if hardware is limited - and
> on ARM it usually is. Even on something like the Arndale Octa or
> the new Chromebook which have 3-4GB of RAM and 8 cores, building
> takes a while. It's not like throwing a full distro rebuild at a
> 24-thread 96GB of RAM Xeon monster and being able to expect it to
> have completed by tomorrow morning.

Oh trust me on that one, I know how this is, and the boards we have
aren't monsters. (but we have a fair amount of them;)

Ex Gentoo dev here, I know -everything- about obnoxious build times and
how amazingly painful it can be. I suspect this will be a lot like going
back to an old thunderbird CPU  with PATA drives.

Crossing it off onto many different machines might help. Not sure if
there's a way to hook btrfs or lvm snapshots into the build/restore
process ( I don't understand it enough yet to test ) but those certainly
won't work over network filesystems.

//D.S

--
8362 CB14 98AD 11EF CEB6  FA81 FCC3 7674 449E 3CFC