[Arm-dev] Getting started / Build machines

Gordan Bobic gordan at redsleeve.org
Thu Jul 3 13:33:40 UTC 2014

On 2014-07-03 14:25, D.S. Ljungmark wrote:
> On 03/07/14 12:52, Gordan Bobic wrote:

>>> I would be happy to setup mock for you if you want ... or even just
>>> put
>>> what I have been using for mock configs here on this list for a test
>>> build.
>>>
>>> I personally would rather produce the RPMs via mock as that prevents
>>> pulling in spurious links for packages because the buildroot is too
>>> fat
>>> (ie, in RHEL, package-y.x.z does not link against package-a.b.c
>>> because
>>> it is not a BuildRequire and not installed in the mock build root ..
>>> but
>>> if run with the package-a.b.c in the buildroot, the configure process
>>> checks for and links against it.
>>
>> Indeed, I touched upon that in my previous post, but that doesn't
>> really matter too much for the first build pass, as you are going
>> to rebuild everything again anyway. And you can pick off the few
>> build failures arising from too much junk in the build environment
>> before the second pass via mock rebuilds.
>>
>>> All mock does is build a minimum clean build root for each package
>>> where
>>> only the specific requires for building are in the build root so that
>>> each package gets only what it needs to build and builds are more
>>> consistently.
>>
>> Sure, but the time it takes to rm -rf the build root and then untar
>> a cached build root copy is a non-trivial fraction of the build
>> time for a lot of the packages. It is certainly not trivial when
>> you multiply it by around 2,000 for the number of packages you are
>> going to need to build.
>>
>>  From experience, anything you can do to get past the first stage
>> build faster is usually a good idea if hardware is limited - and
>> on ARM it usually is. Even on something like the Arndale Octa or
>> the new Chromebook which have 3-4GB of RAM and 8 cores, building
>> takes a while. It's not like throwing a full distro rebuild at a
>> 24-thread 96GB of RAM Xeon monster and being able to expect it to
>> have completed by tomorrow morning.
>>

> Oh trust me on that one, I know how this is, and the boards we have
> aren't monsters. (but we have a fair amount of them;)
>
> Ex Gentoo dev here, I know -everything- about obnoxious build times and
> how amazingly painful it can be. I suspect this will be a lot like
> going
> back to an old thunderbird CPU  with PATA drives.

It's not _too_ bad. The biggest package in the distro is LibreOffice,
and that takes about 24 hours to build on an Exynos A15 Chromebook.
It would build in half that time, but the build process goes out of
it's way to only fork one thread for some reason.

> Crossing it off onto many different machines might help. Not sure if
> there's a way to hook btrfs or lvm snapshots into the build/restore
> process ( I don't understand it enough yet to test ) but those
> certainly
> won't work over network filesystems.

Indeed, and not working over NFS means you can only use builders
with local SATA or at a push USB->SATA disks. Having said that,
there are packages that fail to build on NFS due to test failures.

4GB of RAM is the biggest limitation. What I tend to do is attach
a decent, large SSD (LibreOffice needs nearly 40GB to build!!!)
to each builder, set up tons of swap (say, 8GB per core), and run
as many build threads as there are cores in the machine. That
tends to yield optimal hardware saturation even if some
packages insist on building single-threaded.