[Arm-dev] Cross Compiling vs Native Compiling

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Thu Apr 16 10:10:55 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 02:22:33PM +0530, Mandar Joshi wrote:
> Hello everybody,
> This part is mentioned in my GSoC proposal but I thought I should
> bring it up here as well.
>
> How do you feel about taking a slightly different approach to ARM
> development? Viz. Cross Compiling. We could use existing
> infrastructure x86,x86_64 servers to build packages for ARMv7.
>
> This will require writing some plugins for Yum, Mock & Koji based on
> work done by msalter from RedHat. I am referring to this post
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-buildsys-list/2009-July/msg00000.html
>
> The way I see it, cross compiling will get packages compiled faster
> and would be easy to setup. We won't have to rely of ARM Hardware from
> online.net
>
> A thing to ponder over is whether this fits in the CentOS policy.
>
> Regards
> Mandar Joshi

  The Fedora policy is to build on the target architecture IIRC,
and that's probably a good idea before delivering a final build that
all packages be rebuilt that way for sanity and self hosting guarantee.
However for the initial stage of getting a set of packages build,
finding and solving issues that's probably the right approach, as
it will be way faster I think and easier to run. But it should be
made clear which rpms where build with cross compilation
(the rpm BuildHost info is probably sufficiant but that should be
tracked).

 my 2 cents

Daniel

veillard at redhat.com  | libxml Gnome XML XSLT toolkit  http://xmlsoft.org/