[Arm-dev] How to extract the sources from a src.rpm

Jim Perrin jperrin at centos.org
Fri Dec 18 17:32:34 UTC 2015

mkdir fedora-arm-installer
cd fedora-arm-installer
rpm -ivh --define "%_topdir `pwd`"
http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/23/Everything/source/SRPMS/f/fedora-arm-installer-1.99.5-1.fc23.src.rpm

What you'll end up with is very similar to the directory structure used
for git.centos. A SOURCES dir, with the tarball, and SPECS, with the spec.

The alternative would be to use fedpkg from epel and "fedpkg -a clone -b
f23 fedora-arm-installer" then cd to the resulting directory and "fedpkg
sources"

> I want to look at what is in the fedora-arm-installer to compare it with
> what I have been using without installing it.
>
> So I found the src.rpm at
>
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/releases/23/Everything/source/SRPMS/f/fedora-arm-installer-1.99.5-1.fc23.src.rpm
>

> 'all' I want to do is in some directory pull out all the sources to look
> at.
>
> All experience I have with working with src.rpm stuff is probably 5+
> years old and the brain is just too filled with other cruft, so I am
> asking just a little guidance here.
>
> If I can figure this out, I can perhaps help Fabian easily add lots of
> other boards.

Jim Perrin