[Arm-dev] reset network kills network

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Dec 24 23:33:12 UTC 2015

On 12/24/2015 06:15 PM, david wrote:
> At 03:00 PM 12/24/2015, you wrote:
>

>> On 12/24/2015 05:39 PM, david wrote:
>>> Folks
>>>
>>> I'm playing with a Raspberry Pi 2 and Centos.  Here are some issues
>>> I've bumped into.  I'm not sure this is the right medium for
>>> commenting; please correct me if needed.
>>>
>>> I wrote a copy of the distributed image (1151) to my MicroSD card,
>>> then turned on the Rpi2.
>>>
>>> Issue 1:
>>>   Even though my DHCP server was configured to give the node a name,
>>> it showed up as "rpi2" as the host name.
>>
>> I use:
>>
>> hostnamectl set-hostname <fqdn>
>>
>> There are lots of places where hostname is and this controls all of
>> them.  Or so I have been told.
>>

>>> Issue 2:
>>>   Network works, but if I issue the command
>>>     systemctl reset network
>>>   the command fails and I haven't found a way to get the network
>>> back.  I saved the output of "journalctl -ce", rebooted, and
>>> installed "ftp" so I could copy the data to a real machine.  The
>>> text is as below.
>>>   I issued the "systemctl reset network" command towards the bottom,
>>> where you see the time jump from 00:01:01 to 00:02:28

>>> -- Logs begin at Thu 1970-01-01 00:00:04 UTC, end at Thu 1970-01-01
>>> 00:02:28 UTC. --
>>> Jan 01 00:00:04 rpi2 systemd-journal[81]: Runtime journal is using
>>> 5.7M (max allowed 46.3M, trying to leave 69.4M free of 457.1M
>>> available ? current limit 46.3M).
> <snip>
>
> Robert:
> That does the hostname, but still doesn't answer why it didn't pick it
> up from dhcp.

been a while since I plowed through dhcp-client.  There could be
something there to not accept hostname changes.  Fabian is pretty much
off until next year.  So we may have to plow through this ourselves.

> The network issue is still open.

I don't have a RPi2.  Don't like RPi.  But I will try this on my Cubie
later.  As they have different kernels, could work on one and not the other.