[Arm-dev] UUID for partitions

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at gmail.com
Fri Dec 25 20:30:30 UTC 2015

>>> So every installation from an image will have the same UUIDs.
>> Yes
>
> this is a bad idea, it means you cant ( or will haveto do some work )
> if you ever intend to share media. onprem, lesser issue ( likely only
> when disaster recovery is involved ), but this is a much bigger issue
> in offprem, where block device mobility is part of the larger picture
> and taken for granted.
>
> so, we should fix it.
>
> - - KB

I just finished writing a script to change UUIDs and LABELs.
It's changeuuid.py in https://github.com/mndar/rbf/tree/master/commonscripts
It doesn't depend on anything else in the repo, so you can just
download that script.

Sample Usage:

# just show what is going to change
./changeuuid.py pretend /dev/sdb /tmp/temp/

# actually change
./changeuuid.py change /dev/sdb /tmp/temp/

Refer the README for more details. Let me know if you have any issues.

-Mandar Joshi