[Arm-dev] Network fails Raspberry pi 2

Fabian Arrotin arrfab at centos.org
Tue Dec 29 07:23:26 UTC 2015

On 29/12/15 04:01, david wrote:
> Folks
>
> I've been having lots of problems with Centos 7 on Raspberry Pi 2.
> The network seems to work for a while after a bootstrap, but then
> dies.  The command systemctl restart network always fails.  This
> occurs after installation and updates.
>
> I wonder of others have had this issue, or is my RPI2 defective?
> It's connected to my internal network by a wire-connection to a
> working Centos 6 gateway.  I posted the results of journalctl
> earlier, so won't bother reposting.
>
> Is this the right mail=list to detect if and when the issue is
> addressed?
>
> David

Hmm, multiple people reported the same image running fine on the rpi2.
Does that happen only after some intense network activity ?
What does journalctl / /var/log/messages have to say about the issue ?
Also, the default image doesn't use network , but NetworkManager, so
systemctl status NetworkManager is the way to go, and not systemctl
status network

The network issue you seems to report rings a bell on my side, but not
with the rpi2 board, and not with the centos 7 image. I had that issue
with RedSleeve 6 running on my rpi1, and the fix was to change some
default kernel parameter for that issue.
Here is my ansible playbook snippet for that :

   - name: configuring kernel memory for network issue
     sysctl: name=vm.min_free_kbytes value=8192 state=present

But that was for my rpi1 board, so don't think that it applies to rpi2
and kernel 4.1.11-v7+.

Can you create a bug report on https://bugs.centos.org, so that we can
track it there, and so that it can also appear publicly, in case other
people would have the same issue (my rpi2 board is running for quite
some weeks now without a glitch, but haven't really transferred a lot
of data through the ethernet interface either)

Kind Regards,

- --
gpg key: 56BEC54E | twitter: @arrfab