[Arm-dev] Network fails Raspberry pi 2

Manuel Wolfshant wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro
Thu Dec 31 23:33:40 UTC 2015

On 1 ianuarie 2016 01:13:22 EET, david <david at daku.org> wrote:

>In one of those Eureka moments, I believe I understand why my network
>is failing.  Examination of the "journalctl" output led me to the
>following:
>  - Chronyd is a REPLACEMENT for ntp
Right.

>  - Running both of them at the same time leads to ntpd disabling the
>ethernet link.

If this really happens, it looks like a bug to me. Neither of the two should modify the status of the link.

>If I'm right, perhaps a note should be added into the Arm web page so
>other dummies like me don't make the same mistake.

IMNSHO, if this behaviour is confirmed , it should be filed as a bug and fixed. Network status should under no circumstance depend on a time daemon, whatever that daemon would be.

>For extra bonus points, I wonder if someone could answer the question:
>- Is it OK to use chrony instead of ntp on Centos 6&7 on i386/x86_64
>systems?  Should I change over?
ntp (+ ntpdate) is standard in EL6. AFAIK it has been replaced by chrony in EL7. However chrony is also available (via EPEL if I am not mistaken -- I cannot verify now) for EL6.